Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My First Field Trip

MrsS loves to go on walks so I am going to get to see many things in her city. My first big excursion was walking over a long bridge across the Columbia River from Vancouver, WA to Portland, OR. It is called the Glen L. Jackson bridge for the man who was in charge of building it. Most people just call it the I-205. I just arrived and I got to travel to two states!

This was the first time for both of us to walk across this pedestrian bridge in the middle of the I-205 bridge. It was very noisy and I am glad I got to snuggle in MrsS's pocket for part of the walk. She says she likes long walks so it was ok for her and she was excited to finally find the entrance to the walking path on the bridge.
We entered the bridge from under it! Ü See that guy on a bicycle go up the ramp to the walking area? We followed him.
Can you see me standing at the beginning of the ramp?
Here I am at the beginning. MrsS thought a close up on the way to the top of the bridge was called for.
Here is the part for pedestrians and bicycles. There was a fence on both sides of us that we could see over.

One of the things we could see was the Columbia River. See the airport tower on the right side of that tree to the left but on the right side of the photo? The tree is on the Washington side and the airport on the Oregon side of the Columbia.Sometimes airplanes flew right over us because the Portland International Airport is just across the river.

Looking to the east, we also saw Mt. Hood. In the left of the photo is the Camas Marina in Washington and a sailboat in the river just came from there.

We forgot to turn around and take a photo of Mt. St Helens looking north but MrsS told me we will try to find another blue sky day for that before I go back home. I hope so!

We walked on the bicycle and walking path so no cars woulld run us over. It was a long walk for my small legs so I am glad that I got to ride in MrsS's pocket at times. Of course she brought me out when there was something special to see. She held me tight so I would not blow into traffic or the river. It was very windy! We sure had a great walk to Parkrose Transit Center in Portland where we caught a bus back to Vancouver and then another one to go home. MrsS says I am indeed an adventurer!

No comments: